Thursday, May 7, 2009

You are the sum of your experiences

An online diary. I have been keeping one since 2005, but it's been for my eyes only. Thoughts and feelings, experiences and questions...an inner dialogue made external. I think it helps me put some things into perspective, and think them through...often far better than if I was to stop and try and think it through on the spot in my head.

Anyway, recently I emailed an friend asking them a question I had pondered in my diary. We got to talking and I sent them the entry I had just put in that day. They said (very kindly) that I write very well, and had I ever thought about keeping an online diary? Well the answer was yes, but for various reasons I hadn't.

The largest of these reasons perhaps is my anti-narcissistic and very private nature. I see people that post a lot about themselves on Facebook, Twitter and the like and it is very anti me (perhaps that's for another topic). Regardless this whole thing is going to be a stretch out of the comfort zone. I have written blogs about my basketball coaching, but that was about a subject I was involved in and my thoughts on it, rather than about my own personal feelings and experiences.

Anyway...here I am. I was trying to come up with a name, and wracking the brain. Something funny? Something witty surely. Smart...yeah thats it. Failure on all counts. Something about me (the boy with the big blue eyes hahaha) nope. Oooh a personal motto or slogan. Other than be yourself, I have never really had one and that seemed a bit lacking and cliched.

Then it hit me (thankyou subconcious). A lot of people have repeated back to me a saying I have used many times and firmly believe in...

"You are the sum of your experiences". Whilst I certainly don't claim to have invented this saying, I didn't pick it up from anywhere it, just came out one day as it made entire sense. So this diary is all about that. The sum of my experiences.

The thoughts and feelings, questions and concerns, events and everything else in between. I have no idea if anyone will find it interesting, how often I will post, the format it will take...it is all a blank canvas that will evolve.

So here's to lifes experiences, and being the sum of them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment