Thursday, May 21, 2009

Twitter: Follow Friday #1 (@livbambola)

I got involved with Twitter early in 2009 to understand what it was all about. I feel that as someone involved in the Tech Industry, I should be aware of what the latest trends and devices and be familiar with their application and use.

Now I should say (and in line with my prior post) I am not a very self confident or extroverted person. I have not been a big user of Facebook or MySpace (but for similar reasons to getting into Twitter have explored both), and stayed away from blogging for a long time until recently.

I have actually found that Twitter is a very handy service, and you can get out of it what you want. I tailored my usage to obtain information on upcoming music and entertainment events, inside information on basketball happenings, and travel information amongst others. What I have also found is a vibrant Perth community of 'twitterers' (aka twitterazzi, twits). To date I have met some great people and expanded my circle of friends.

Now a concept of Twitter is 'Follow Friday'. It started out as a random post of twitterers names that you follow, together with a 'hashtag' of #followfriday. People that follow you see this post, and then they can find out about people that that otherwise would not have known about. I think it's a great idea.

Now last week I read a post by a gent name Steve Woodruff (post here How-to-improve-Follow-Friday). In it he suggests that rather than stuffing as many twitter names into a 140 character post as you can, post one or two and either put a reason why/description, or link to a more detailed blog post. Well I think that's a great idea, so here I go!

My first Follow Friday recommendation...

*drum roll*

@livbambola

Livbambola is one of the first people I followed on Twitter. When I first started using Twitter, I found an application called "Twitterlocal" and used it to discover people in Perth using it. Since then I have also found that @livbambola has her own blog which is regularly updated (far more than mine!) and I enjoy reading.

She has a great writing style, a nice sense of fashion, and a wonderful sense of humour.

So there you go, my first #followfriday!

No comments:

Post a Comment