Monday, May 25, 2009

Top 5 Albums

This whole Facebook trend of top 5 blah blah is really getting quite annoying. It would be nice to not log on, infrequent as that may be, and be overwhelmed by that sort of stuff.

Having said that, it did get me thinking lol. I was listening to a song the other day, and thought "I recall this song, it's from one of those rare albums where I like every song...". Hmmm...albums where I like every song on them. Coincidentally they happen to pretty much be my favourite albums.

So here goes, my top 5 albums:

1. Master of Puppets (Metallica 1986)
Believe it or not, the first ever album (tape actually) that I purchased with my own money. A friend at high school recommended it. I was more into the poppy/rock kinda tracks on commercial radio, and at the time Metallica was hardly mainstream. I think the first few times I listened to it, my ears almost bled. And as a funny side note, it was in the player one day when my Aunt put it on and heard the accoustic guitar intro to "Battery"...when it kicked in she almost died lol.

A fantastic album from beginning to end, I listen to it regularly. To me it is Metallica at their prime.

2. Pretty Hate Machine (Nine Inch Nails 1989)
Another absolute classic. Trent Reznor is a master, created a genre and continues to expand it to this day. So many good tracks on this album, again one I regularly listen to. What more can I say. Seeing NIN live at Soundwave this year was an absolute high point for me. Incredible.

3. Brothers in Arms (Dire Straits 1985)
Ahuh, who would have thought that Metallica and Nine Inch Nails would be followed by Dire Straits?!?! Hey, it's as much of a shock to me as you hahaha. I found this album while I was staying at my Aunts place in Eneabba (near Geraldton) during school holidays. I was bored and going through her record collection...ABBA, Bee Gees...and then I put this on. Who are Dire Straits, no idea...give it a spin. Hmmm...I like. Still like. Brothers in Arms (the single) is an absolute classic, still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

4. Eyes Open (Snow Patrol 2006)
I was introduced to Snow Patrol by an ex-girlfriend. I had heard one of their singles on commercial radio, but I don't listen to the radio a great deal and hadn't heard much more...I think it was the song most people associated with them, "Chasing Cars". And to be honest, I grew a little sick of it due to it being played everywhere.

It wasn't until some time later that she played some more for me, I was intrigued and bought the album. I have since seen them in concert three times and enjoy all their albums...in particular this one.

5. American Idiot (Greenday 2004)
I think some people would probably have a fit with this being my favourite Greenday album. Don't get me wrong, I have been a fan for a very long time, and love a lot of their stuff. But this album blew me away when it came out. The way it tells a story, fits together, and the songs themselves stand alone. I hope I get the opportunity to see them in concert.

And now for the inevitable honorable mentions, in no particular order:

Infected (The The 1986)
Collision Course (Jay-Z vs Linkin Park 2004)
Substance (New Order 1987)
Come What(ever) May (Stone Sour 2006)
The Rising Tied (Fort Minor 2005)
Appetite for Destruction (Guns n Roses 1987)

There are many more, but given I am focusing on a top 5 I thought it would be reasonable to limit the honourable mentions to 6 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment