Sunday, November 15, 2009

The mystery of time...

I have long experienced a little issue that has intrigued me, and I feel the need to discuss (aka vent).

You always hear it, that comment "I don't have time". Commonly an excuse utilised for a lack of effort on someone's part. Whilst it can often be the basis of the issue, it is more often the convenient crutch that is leaned on when effort was lacking.

It is however an easy, and very believable reason. Of all the things we possess, time is perhaps the only finite resource. However if you can find someone that has had something, be it a hobby, work, or some passion that involved them spending a lot of time on it...odds are you will find someone that appreciates just how much time we do have at our disposal.

I am a basketball coach and have been doing it for 15 years. I would train 2-3 times a week, with each session involving a 30 minute commute either way, arriving 30 minutes prior to the session to prepare and then the 2 ½ hour session. So up to three times a week, that was 4 hours a night (12 hours total). Then for every training session, I would spend about half that time again reviewing video, preparing training plans, analysing individual players issues etc. So that's another 6 hours. And then every Saturday morning I had 8:00am – 11:00am booked for professional development, where I would read a book, watch a college/NBA/other game, and try to improve my knowledge. So that's another 3 hours. None of that takes into account the 'variable factors', like going to junior games on occasion to watch upcoming young players, attending other coaches training sessions to assist/learn etc. So let's go with a total of 21 hours.

On top of this I had a full time job (no, coaching doesn't pay the bills...). That was well in excess of 40 hours a week. And still somehow managed to have time to catch up with friends and go out.

I am having a break from coaching this year and it has really hit home how much time it takes up. However I have chosen to look at it rather as how much time I currently have available. So many of the people I know, when you say to them "hey lets catchup", they say "sorry, I just don't have time right now...lets plan something later hey?". Hmmmm. So rather than accept this, recently I have politely asked what it is they have that keeps them so busy. It seems the routine of going to work and going home is sufficient for most. They get home...err...get changed...ummm....cook dinner...yeah and it is just really busy. There's stuff that needs to be done. And it's not getting done on its own.

Honestly, find something that will take up your time, do it for a while, then stop it. You will find a world of time available that you didn't realise you had.

No comments:

Post a Comment